Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mid-Winter Walk

One of our favorite things about our house in Pagosa is that we're right across the street from the 2 million acre San Juan National Forest.  It's pretty spectacular.


Today, Jackson and I decided to go for a walk in the woods with Beans as our guide and protector.  We felt secure, knowing our steely hound was always on the lookout for danger.


Look, there's some danger over there!


Wait, there's some danger under here!


Oh no!  Everybody run for your lives!


With the perimeter secured, we headed down the trail.  While not exactly official, there are plenty of trails leaving from the gate behind our house.  We ride bikes in the summer and snowshoe in the winter.


My traveling companion is an expert arborist, geologist, and botanist.  All along the trail, he yells "Tree! Rock! Tree! Rock! Stick!"  It's quite informative.


He also likes to kick me in the back while he's riding in the backpack.  It's okay, though, because he yells "Kick! Kick! Kick!" while he's doing it.  So, you know, we're cool.


One of Jackson's favorite books is Go, Dog, Go!  It's one of Beans' favorites too.


Here's a shot of the view looking straight up:


I thought I'd include that for all you Northern Californians battling your 47th straight day of rain.  Good luck with that.

At the top of the ridge, there are some nice views of Pagosa Peak.



Jackson ponders a tree.  Can I eat this?  Maybe if I kind of came at it sideways...


Beans pauses for a tasty snack.  Snow cones!


Our local cairn-builders have entirely too much time on their hands.  I'm guessing out-of-work construction people.  There's not a whole going on in Pagosa in January.


Honestly, this is a pretty nice place to spend the winter.  Sure, there's a lot of snow.  But most days, you can be out in it wearing a baseball cap and a fleece jacket.  40 degrees and sunny is pretty awesome at 8000 feet and 2% humidity.  I don't see why people live anywhere else.  It's totally worth working 5 part-time jobs.  Just ask Beans.


(You can click any of these pictures for higher-resolution versions.)

1 comment:

Nana said...

Can't wait to go sledding with you in February, Jackson!